• Living the recumbent life!
  1. We have brought the site back online.  Now let's see how she does.

Catrike Catrike 5.5.9

Discussion in 'Trike' started by Tracy, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Tracy
    Happy

Tracy The 'Bent One

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Well, after making the fatal mistake of letting my wife ride my Road, she decided she liked it better than her delta trike.  
    So, now the big decision.  Let her keep my limited edition red color Road and me get a 5.5.9 in atomic orange, or to let her get a Road of her own.  
    I kind  of like the features of the 5.5.9, especially the larger rear tire.  I can see that being of a benefit on longer rides.  But I'll honestly probably never use the folding feature - and that strikes me as a possible failure point.  For carrying, we will be getting an Alpaca style rack (2 inch) to mount our trikes on - so folding is not that important since we also have a large garage to store them in.
    Was wondering if anyone has owned both and can give feedback to which - for a casual rider that may start doing some long distance riding - a better trike.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2015
  2. Tracy
    Happy

Tracy The 'Bent One

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Well, my order for an atomic orange 5.5.9 has just been placed with Mike at Easy Street Recumbents.  We will be picking it up in about 45 days.

3. Tracy
    Happy

Tracy The 'Bent One

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Well, we are heading to Austin on Saturday to pick the trike up.  It's supposed to be all ready to rock and roll - so a 3 hour trip to get it, an hour or two at the store and then another 3 hours to return.  

4. Tracy
    Happy

Tracy The 'Bent One

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Well, our trip to Austin has been postponed.  Something to do with the small matter of flash flooding going on down there. /emoticons/milk.png

We will probably try the trip on Sunday instead if the water has receded.

5. 559

559 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I bought the 559 "Atomic Orange" in May.  The color was a good choice for me---really helps with visibility.  I have Marathon + on all tires and still cruise at speeds between 14-18 mph  depending upon the wind.  Very happy with my choice and I hope you will be too.

6. Tracy
    Happy

Tracy The 'Bent One

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    First, let me welcome you the site.  It's slow on posts, but it's not that well known so I hope it picks up.

I ended up going with Big Apple tires on her.  I like the ride - seems a little "plusher" which is nice for our rough streets (we don't have bike trails locally).  I've still got to get a computer for it - thinking about Garmin but haven't decided for sure yet.   I've got to decide on some quality headlights (got a DS-500 and a HotShot on the back currently). 
    It's noticeably faster on the flats than the Road that my wife "appropriated" from me.
    And yes, the orange is definitely an attention getter.  Everybody that has seen it has commented on it (all have been positive except for my Aggie friend - he likes my wife's Road better, which is a maroonish red).

7. Tracy
    Happy

Tracy The 'Bent One

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
  8. Sasquatch

Sasquatch New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I just bought 2 5.5.9s for myself and the Mrs. We've been trying then out the past few weeks at Utah Trikes and I've been hoping they would start the usual year end promo. So as soon as Catrike posted the Fire & Ice deal I pulled the trigger. Fire Red for me and Ice Blue for her. Here's to hoping they come quick!