• Living the recumbent life!
  1. We have brought the site back online.  Now let's see how she does.

Catrike Catrike Dumont

Discussion in 'Trike' started by Tracy, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Tracy
    Happy

Tracy The 'Bent One

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Catrike has announced a new fully suspended trike to be released in 2016. It's called the Dumont and was announced at InterBike.
    It combines the following features
    • rear suspension design of the Road
    • seat-height of the Expedition
    • back-adjustable seat-style of the Trail
    • folding system of the 559
    into one trike. It's is rumored to be priced at around $3995, which is around $800 more than the 5.5.9, which is currently the most expensive one they have out. It is possible that the trike will be available around March 2016.
    Changes/updates in the trike include
    • updated yoke pivot boss now has a 360 degree three axis profile and a 25mm through axle
    • redesigned the rear suspension to increase lateral stiffness with a new yoke, yoke pivot, axle and a fully triangulated swing arm
    • yoke redesign includes oversized 37mm ball bearings, triangular side tunnels, and underside opening resulting in a 53 percent increase in strength
    • and of course, front suspension

The trike has an anti-dive front suspension spindle to take the edge off the road. "Anti-dive" refers to properties of a suspension when it does something other than compress when braking. Anti-dive front suspensions setups are used in many BMW motorcycles. The system used on the Catrike spindles is similar to the front suspension of a Birdy folding bike and is a time-tested solid concept. There is approximately 1 inch of travel from information released.
    dumont-1.jpg dumont-2.jpg dumont-3.jpg

2. Tracy
    Happy

Tracy The 'Bent One

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I'm in the market for a new trike since my wife absconded with my Road.... but I don't know if I want to wait till March and miss out on the trike riding between now and then and have to ride my old DF during that time (getting to where the DF hurts my back) or just get the 5.5.9 next month or so.  Ilike the look of this bike - and really do in the purple people eater color.
    Dang.. decisions, decisions.

3. Tracy
    Happy

Tracy The 'Bent One

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Ended up going with the 5.5.9 but kind of wished I had waited due to the rough roads I have to ride on. [emoji35]

4. luminova11

luminova11 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Don't know about this one. No doubt it will be a great trike bur not one of Catrike's prettiest offerings IMHO.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

5. Tracy
    Happy

Tracy The 'Bent One

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I find it a little "busy" in the looks department. I don't know if it's because of the color or the trike itself. It's basically a Road with some simple shocks on the front.

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I rode one of these yesterday at Utah Trikes and it was underwhelming. The suspension was pretty stiff on it. Right after that ride I took a 559 through the same paces, I went over some of the same terrain to make a comparison of the 2 and the bumps were just a tiny bit muted on the Dumont. I would venture that it felt like a 559 on some bigger tires. The only time I felt a noticeable difference was on some truly bumpy asphalt in a park between tree roots. For $1k more, I'd go with the 559 unless you have body issues and truly need the suspension.

7. Tracy
    Happy

Tracy The 'Bent One

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    That was kind of my idea, and the reason I went ahead and went with the 5.5.9. I've got Big Apples on it, and it really rides nicely.