• Living the recumbent life!
  1. We have brought the site back online.  Now let's see how she does.

Cygo Lite Hotshot

Discussion in 'Equipment Talk' started by Tracy, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Tracy
    Happy

Tracy The 'Bent One

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Not a real happy camper right now. Purchased one of the 2 watt HotShot's from the recumbent store when I picked up my trike yesterday (08/30) and on the way home put it on a charger in the car so ti's good and full. Get home, mount the thing and turn it on and get it aligned. OK, it's nice and has nice flash patterns, but the Bontrager Flare R is brighter and has a wider dispersal of the light.
    Go to turn it off... what's this.. light goes out but when I release the power button it comes back on a dim red. Does this multiple times.
    Well, now I've got the light running down and will put it on the charger again -but apparently it has issues. So, after owning it less than 1 day I've already had to send an email to Cygo Lite for an RMA. I could send it back to the dealer, but to drive is 7 hours round trip. Figure if I am going to have to mail something, I'll ship it to Cygo Lite and let them fix it directly.
    This is what it does after it has totally ran out of juice and "powered itself off".
    hotshot.jpg

2. Tracy
    Happy

Tracy The 'Bent One

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Contacted Cygolite, and got an RMA for the light.  Of course, I had to pay to ship a brand new light back to them to get it repaired.  Now I'm waiting to hear back from them to make sure it's covered (should be as it was all of 1 day old) and to see if I'm going to have to pay to have them ship it back to me for their device failure.  I've read some instances where they required payment to ship it back - but some of those were for overseas customers - and I'm US based so maybe they'll just spend the roughly $6 to ship it back to me the same way I shipped it to them.

3. Tracy
    Happy

Tracy The 'Bent One

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Here it is coming up on a month later since sending the broken (didn't even get to mount it on the bike once) HotShot to Cygolite for repair.
    Here is the response from Paul that I got when I inquired about it since it had been almost 3 weeks since they had received it:
    Kind of ridiculous to pay almost $50 for a light that doesn't work as soon as you get home and you send it in (with a receipt showing it was purchased the day before the RMA request) and it takes over a month.
    I CAN NOT recommend any further purchases of Cygolite products based upon this very poor customer support. 
    Guess what... this was the second Cygolite I've purchased (headlight for the trike also).. but with this kind of poor customer service (takes over a month for them to even LOOK at a light that is obviously defective since it was RMA'd the day AFTER it was purchased and then to tell the purchaser they they will contact after it is resolved and go over the issue and BILLING?  Hell, it's a brand new light... I paid to have it shipped to THEM.  The least they can do is pay to ship it back (which I've heard now that they don't do as they make you pay both ways).  
    Luckily I've now got a DS-500 for the trike - in addition to the Orfos Flare 360, the Bontrager Flare R and what was going to be the spare (the HotShot).  Was debating on getting one of the nice high end Cygolite headlights (Trion series) but I really don't think I'm willing to spend that much money on something that has this poor of customer service.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2015
  4. Tracy
    Happy

Tracy The 'Bent One

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Finally got the light back in (after about a month of them having it) - but no notice from them about it like they said I would get as to what was wrong with it, etc.
    Light is OK, and I'll leave it on my soon to be inbound Catrike 5.5.9 along with the Design Shine DS-500 (will use the Hotshot as an emergency spare light).
    Still looking (since this left a bad taste in my mouth) at other manufacturers for headlights (but I do like the features of the CygoLite ones is the bad thing).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2015